General Stuff


The week before classes start we have a 5 day orientation. Topics include general administrative details such as office assignments, departmental computing, teaching assistant sessions and course information. Both faculty and students will give short research talks to introduce new students to some of the work that is being done in the deparment. There will also be some social activities with faculty and students to help everyone get acquainted.

You should receive information about the orientation schedule in the mail or via e-mail. If you have not received any information by the middle of September or have any questions, contact the GSR, [an error occurred while processing this directive].

Office and Key Assignments

You will be given your office assignment and keys during orientation.

Copier & Fax Codes

The photocopier and fax machine in the office require codes. Ask [an error occurred while processing this directive] for your code. Codes are RA/TA-funding specific, so copies made for teaching/research purposes do not get billed to you.

No codes are needed for the department printers.

Computer Accounts & Mail

A departmental computer account will be set up for you during orientation week. This account lets you use the UNIX mainframes and your desktop PC. Your account name, followed by "", is your Stat e-mail address.

Web Pages

If you would like a link to your personal web page on the Stat graduate student directory, contact thewebmaster. For information on how to set up a web page check out the department computing website.

Teaching Assistant Training

The department has a lead TA (a more senior student who has TA'ed before). The lead TA will help organise a teaching assistant training session during orientation. This is a time when you can ask questions about the course you've been assigned to, how the system works and what the work load is like. There is usually a micro-teaching video session too. The lead TA is available (as are all the other students) throughout the year to help you with any problems.

International students will have to go through the University organised teaching assistant training also. This is the week before orientation and is more intensive. If English is your second language you will also have to take an spoken English test. You will receive information from the university on the ITA program.

Registration & Tuition Bill

To be a full-time graduate student during fall, winter, or spring quarters, you must be enrolled for ten credits. One credit will come from the Stat seminar, two will usually come from your RA or TA (there are exceptions to this!!) and the rest from courses. During summer you might not have to register at all; check with the person providing your support to see if you do. If you do register you typically only need to register for two or three credits. More information about summer registration is available below.

All registration is now done online. Log on to myUW and click on the registration link. If this is your first time using the registration system this quarter, you'll be asked to confirm your address and make insurance and optional charges choices. (All TA/RA/GSA/VIGRE-supported students are automatically covered by the TA/RA insurance plan, so you should select "no insurance".)

You'll need the know SLNs (schedule line numbers) for your courses before you register. You can get all the SLN's from the UW Time Schedule; go to the Courses website for quick links to the current Statistics section of the Time Schedule.

You'll also need to know add codes for some courses; you can contact [an error occurred while processing this directive] for these. Typically add codes are needed for independent study (Stat 600) and the Masters/Ph.D. research classes (Stat 700 and 800, resp.). To get your "free" two credits for your TA/RA work, register for Stat 600 with your supervisor.

All students are required to register for Stat 590 (seminar); no add code is required.

Summer Registration

Some funding sources (e.g., VIGRE) require summer registration; others prefer that you not register so that they don't pay tuition fees. If you plan on graduating in summer then you must be registered. Check with whoever provides your funding and/or with [an error occurred while processing this directive] to see if you need to register.

In general, to be considered a full-time student in summer quarter you need to enroll for two or three credits, depending on how you are supported. Consider signing up for the consulting class (Stat 599) or an independent study (Stat 600). You can also get two credits for your RA/TA if you need them.

Fees in the summer are lower. (That doesn't mean you should take ten credits, though; your support may not cover that. It's also a good idea to keep your summer schedule light. Focus on your prelims (if you have not yet passed them) or your research (if you have passed your prelims).

If you don't need to register:

  • You can still be funded through your RA by being paid hourly (there are exceptions so ask what the policy is).
  • If you were a full-time student for the three preceeding quarters then you will still be covered by the RA/TA health insurance during the summer. Some services at Hall Health are a benefit of being a student rather than through the health insurance, so these may cost you.
  • You can still join the IMA by purchasing a summer user pass (about $60).
  • You can still get a U-Pass by going to the transportation office and buying one. Information on how to get a summer U-Pass is here.


The department has several coffee machines located in the main office. If you take a cup, add to your tally on the sheet located on the cabinet above the coffee machines. Every now and then you'll be asked to give some money (about 25 cents per cup). Instructions for refilling the machines is on the wall.

You can also go to Etc. or the the Atrium in the HUB for (Tully's) drip coffee/espresso/etc., or to Parnassusin the basement of the Art building for drip coffee/espresso.

University Bookstore

The University bookstore, located, at the corner of 43rd and University, sells not only the books you need for courses, but also office and art supplies, software, computers, and general interest books and magazines. New textbooks are usually sold at a slight discount (compared to the publisher's listed price), and used textbooks are even cheaper (when they are available). In addition, the University Bookstore also offers patrons a refund of about 10% each year on some purchases (including texts and supplies), so save your receipts. Patronage refund envelopes are available at the stores. The deadline for returning the envelopes is usually on June 30th and refund checks are issued in October.

Publishing Technical Reports

When you are finished (or nearly finished) with the report, request a technical report number from the webmaster. You should put this number on the front page of your report (look at recent reports for examples). Send the completed report (in PDF format) to the webmaster.

There is no official style for technical reports; see recent reports for stylistic inspiration. (The LaTeX article class defaults used by many people.)

Note that students must have approval from their advisors and/or the chair to publish technical reports. This is usually not a problem, as it is rare that you will author a tech report without your RA supervisor or your research advisor.

Your Husky Card

Your Husky Card is your main identification on campus. You'll use it at the registrar's office, at the IMA, at the library, etc. You can also put money on the card, money that you can use to pay for parking in the Montlake lots or food at the Hub. Don't lose it! It's expensive to replace.

The U-Pass

The U-Pass is a bus pass plus more. The U-PASS provides faculty, staff, and students with a variety of low-cost transportation options--from buses, commuter train service, and light rail, to vanpooling and discounted impromptu carpooling.

The U-Pass will also get you discounts at some stores and restaurants in the University District; a full list of discounts is available here.

Helpful Web Sites for Grad Students